Thursday 27 April 2017

Weihnachtsstollen from Germany | Dresden Christmas Loaf

Stollen is a traditional German fruit bread, usually eaten during the Christmas season, when it is called as Weihnachtsstollen (after “Weihnachten”, the German word for Christmas) or Christstollen (after Christ)- Wiki. When I picked up this dish, it didn’t strike me the incident I had with this Stollen many years ago!

The main identifying factor about a stollen is the sugar coating or icing sugar that covers a stollen and the dry fruits and nuts that are used in it. As it seems to be off late, I didn’t read this part ahead, where it is said that we should pour melted butter and sugar as soon as the bread is out of the oven. The recipe I referred made it a point to mention one should wait for the bread to cool down. Against my better judgment, I did that and I see that butter and sugar are only coating my bread.

My original plan was to bake this during the weekend, which I missed and hence made it on a weekday. I planned to rest it in the fridge and bake it in the night. I was so sure I would be able to click and post on time. However, things always happen at its will. While kneading the dough, since I was making only half the recipe, I seem to have ended up adding more butter than required and less yeast than it requires. This always seems to be happening off late. The dough was quite thick.

Weihnachtsstollen from GermanyWeihnachtsstollen

My final baked stollen was quite heavy and thick. Since I have never tasted it, I don’t know how it must taste. The incident I mentioned earlier, is with my Christmas shopping I did once. While we don’t’ keep a tree at home, for many years now, parents and hubby dear always keep asking for a Christmas cake. So it’s become a tradition for me to bake a Fruitcake for them during that season. Since it also coincides with Bakeathon, I have more the need to bake a cake.

So some years back, when I was shopping during this time, I saw all plum cakes and fruit cakes being sold and I saw this stollen as well. It was weighed only 100 gms and was quite pricey for it. Amma said it wasn’t tasty at all and it was too expensive. I remember how it was all icing sugar on top. Somehow that Stollen remained in memory for a long time. Until I read this properly again, that memory didn’t click.

Well even though the bread turned out dense, I enjoyed it so much and Hubby dear said he loved it. So I am happy that whatever I baked was liked. I must try again with a different measurement for sure. Until then you can check out this.

Dresden Christmas Loaf

Today is W for Weihnachtsstollen from Germany

In the ABC Bake around the World series:

A for Afghan Biscuit from New Zealand
B for Brownie from the United States
C for Cheese Crackers with Parmesan from Italy
D for Devil’s Food Cake from the United States
E for English Muffin Bread from the United Kingdom
F for Fougasse from France
G for Garlic Bread from India
H for Hot Cross Bun from England
I for Ischler Cookies are from Austria
J for Johnny Cake from Belize
K for Kugelhopf  from Europe
L for Lekach from Germany
M for Mupotohayi | Chimodho from Zimbabwe
N for Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies from Italy
O for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Scotland
P for Peanut Cookies from China
Q for Qurabiya from Iran
R for Russian Rose Bread from Russia
S for Sekerpare from Turkey
T for Tahini and Almond Cookies from Israeli
U for Umm Ali from the Middle East
V for Vasilopita from Greece

Step by Step Pictures for making Weihnachtsstollen 

Weihnachtsstollen from Germany | Dresden Christmas Loaf

For the Dough:
2 cups All Purpose Flour + 2 tbsp + 2 tsp
1/2 + 1/4 cup Milk
42 gms Instant yeast 4.45 tbsp
1/2 cup Butter + 1 tbsp
1/4 cup Sugar
1/8 cup Honey
1/2 tsp Salt

For the Flavoring:
1/4 C Candied Lemon Peel
1/4 cup Almonds chopped
1 tsp Lemon Rind grated
3/4 cup Raisins

For Topping:
1/8 cup Butter melted
1/4 cup Sugar powdered

For the Dough:
In a wide bowl, combine all ingredients. Knead to form a soft, pliable yeast dough; allow to stand in bowl for ten minutes.

For the Flavoring

When the dough has risen, punch it down as a disc, add all the nuts and raisins and knead well into the dough.
Roll into an oval shape and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow resting for ten to fifteen minutes.
Then wrap the in an aluminum foil and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Before baking, remove dough from refrigerator; remove foil.
Sprinkle flour around loaf to prevent the dough from spreading.
Place loaf in a pre-heated 200 C and bake for fifty to sixty minutes, or until loaf is pale gold in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

For Topping
Brush loaf with melted butter; dust with powdered sugar. Repeat with remaining butter and sugar. Slice and serve.

Note:
Weihnachtsstollen should have a thick, white layer.

Weihnachtsstollen from Germany | Dresden Christmas Loaf
Weihnachtsstollen or Dresden Christmas Loaf is a german fruit bread, baked with nuts and dry fruits. This bread is topped with butter and icing sugar.
Ingredients
For the Dough:
For the Flavoring:
For Topping:
Instructions
For the Dough:
  1. In a wide bowl, combine all ingredients. Knead to form a soft, pliable yeast dough; allow to stand in bowl for ten minutes.
For the Flavoring
  1. When the dough has risen, punch it down as a disc, add all the nuts and raisins and knead well into the dough.
  2. Roll into an oval shape and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow resting for ten to fifteen minutes.
  3. Then wrap the in an aluminum foil and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
  4. Before baking, remove dough from refrigerator; remove foil.
  5. Sprinkle flour around loaf to prevent the dough from spreading.
  6. Place loaf in a pre-heated 200 C and bake for fifty to sixty minutes, or until loaf is pale gold in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
For Topping
  1. Brush loaf with melted butter; dust with powdered sugar. Repeat with remaining butter and sugar. Slice and serve.
Recipe Notes

Weihnachtsstollen should have a thick, white layer.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75

 Loading InLinkz ...

The post Weihnachtsstollen from Germany | Dresden Christmas Loaf appeared first on Spice your Life!.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management